"How to Setup Value Series Feature Extraction Operator with Windowing Operator"

samup4websamup4web MemberPosts:2Contributor I
edited June 2019 inHelp
Hi all,

I trying to use Series Extension to perform classification on multivariate time series data. So far, I have been able get sliding window using the 'Windowing" operator (encode series by examples)
Example of source data:
point1 point2 point3 label
a1 b1 c1 class1
a2 b2 c2 class1
a3 b3 c3 class1
... .... ... ........

Since I wish to perform classification on these data points. I intend to extract features based on the sliding window and then have dataset similar to the example below (assume window size=2)

Point1-1 Point1-0 Point1-Extracted-Feat. Point2-1 Point2-0 Point2-Extracted-Feat. Point3-1 Point3-0 Point3-Extracted-Feat label
a1 a2 XXXXXX b1 b2 XXXXXXX c1 c2 XXXXXXXX Class1
a3 a4 XXXXXX b3 b4 XXXXXXX c3 c4 XXXXXXX Class1
... ... ......

With this approach, I can select the extracted features as attributes for the classification process.

So far, I have only been able to get the attributes (Point1-1, Point1-0, Point2-1, Point2-0, Point3-1, Point3-0) using the window operator. But when I attempt to use the operators such as Discrete Wavelet Transformation, it only operated on the first example (i.e a1, a2, b1, b2, c1,c2). I also had to use the "Data to Series"Operator to be able to use any of the extraction or transformation operator for series. I don't know if I am using the write approach.

What is the best setup for this approach?

What is the best setup for using sliding window and extracting features to give a similar dataset similar to the example I showed above.

Best Regards
/Sam

Tagged:

Answers

• 韦塞尔韦塞尔 MemberPosts:537Guru
    Can you modify your example to include the attribute time?

比如,也许你想预测temperature 24 hours from now, based on historic temperature and humidity readings.

So then you have your original data-set like this:

#Time, humidity, temperature
    timeValue1, humidityValue1, temperatureValue1
    timeValue2, humidityValue2, temperatureValue2
    timeValueN, humidityValueN, temperatureValueN

让我们写这篇文章有点短
    #t,y,z
    t1,y1,z1
    t2,y2,z2
    tN,yN,zN

Now after windowing with embedding dimension W your dataset becomes
    #t,y-24,y-25,....,y-W,z-24,z-25,...,z-W,z-0

Here z-0 is the label attribute, it encodes z (temperature) at -0 hours relative to now.
    So z-24 indicates the temperate 24 hours ago relative to now (where now refers to the 'now' of the row).

Note that t is an attribute with role ID, it doesn't get windowed.

Best regards,

Wessel

• samup4websamup4web MemberPosts:2Contributor I
    Hi Wessel,

I already have time (role=id) in my example, I just didn't include it in the illustration.

As I mentioned in my previous post. I already used the windowing operator, and I have the encoded example similar to what your described. But, I wish to apply series feature extraction on each window of the time series. I need this for more of classification purpose and not prediction

I am currently using the windowing operator, I do not know if this is the best approach for my task.

Is there any documentation about Series Value extension for RapidMiner 5?
  • 韦塞尔韦塞尔 MemberPosts:537Guru
    Okay, so what type of features you wish to extract?

Can't you use the raw inputs as input to a classifier, and use those 'predicted labels' as features?
    Or hand craft the exact features you want using the script operator?

Best regards,

Wessel
  • MariusHelfMariusHelf RapidMiner Certified Expert, MemberPosts:1,869Unicorn
    Hi,

if I get it right, you want to extract a feature for each of the original attributes, and you want to do this on windowed data. Maybethis thread (click here)can help you.

Best regards,
    Marius
Sign InorRegisterto comment.